Good Luck Box is teaming up with the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run to bring you an extra shot of luck the week before the race. What is a Good Luck Box? It’s a selection of handpicked items from running experts to give you the edge before, during, and after an upcoming race. Boxes are tailored to the recipient and their race. In the case of the Cherry Blossom box, the contents will be specially chosen with a cherry blossom theme. Continue reading Bring Some Good Luck to Your Race
With the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run only a few short months away, and the recent warm spell we had in my neck of the woods (Central PA)– I’m starting to get those little butterflies in my stomach made up of excitement, joy, and nerves all at the same time!
I don’t know about you, but I’m less than thrilled with treadmill running and am eager to get my run on outside!
While doing some interval training the other morning, I passed the time by thinking about some of my quirky running habits. It’s funny how “set in our ways” runners can be! I thought I’d share a few of my non-negotiable habits with you:
- I Don’t Wear the T-Shirt Prior to the Race – Call it a superstition, but I feel like it would be unlucky to wear my race t-shirt prior to actually running AND FINISHING the race. As if perhaps the “running gods” would swoop down and trip me prior to crossing the line. However, I DO wear it that day (along with my finishers medal of course!) once I’ve cleaned up after race.
- I Have a Running “Persona”, Jenny Bennie – The first half marathon I ever ran, I ran for my uncle, who had passed away of cancer a few months prior to the race. He always referred to me as Jenny Bennie, and I had that name ironed on to the shirt I wore for the run. Since then, I’ve almost always signed up for runs under this exact name. At packet pickup I usually get a smile out of the organizers.
- I Always Wear Sunglasses – I think this one goes back to my first half marathon as well. I have this big pair of sunglasses that I always wear when I run. Even if it’s cloudy or rainy and I have no use for them, I’ll wear them on my head. (My ponytail keeps them from falling off the back.) It’s like a little security blanket!
Here’s a shot of the shirt and the sunglasses during my first half. The future was so bright, I HAD to wear shades.
- I Don’t Look at the Route – I know, I know……. this is the EXACT opposite of what pretty much everyone recommends as far as preparing for a race. Leave it to me to not follow directions. So *why* do I do this?! I don’t want to psych myself out. AND – it makes it feel like more of an “adventure” to me.
- Pre-Race Banana, NO Exceptions – I’ve tried plenty of other pre-race snacks, but the banana just works for me. Now it’s an absolute MUST!! My belly doesn’t get upset during the run, my energy seems to stay even throughout the run, and it doesn’t feel like it weighs me down.
Now it’s your turn! What’s your habit – lucky pair of socks? Same dinner the night before? Share away!!
Jenny is a 30-something working mom, wife, avid weight lifter, and four time half-marathoner who blogs at www.thewellnessjourneyblog.com.
We’re several days into the 2014 Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run lottery, and are crossing our laces for everyone tweeting us and commenting on Facebook to get selected for this year’s race!
There are 4 runners (and many 2013 volunteers and charity runners!) who do not have to rely on luck to get into this year’s CUCB: our 2 social runners, Doug and Francine, and (for the first time ever!) our two blog contributors, Jenny and Courtenay.
We’re pleased to introduce them to those of you who haven’t already “met” them online, and to share their responses to the question “Are you superstitious?”
Jenny is a mom, wife, avid weight lifter, and runner living and working in Central PA who blogs at http://www.thewellnessjourneyblog.com.
Is she superstitious?
If you had asked me BEFORE I started running, I would have said no. But I am when it comes to races! I never wear my race shirt until I’ve completed the race, and I always wear the same pair of “lucky” sunglasses when running!
Courtenay is an attorney, wife, mom (empty-nester) and runner in Alexandria, Virginia, who blogs at “Running With Perseverance,” http://got2run4me.com.
Is she superstitious?
I don’t think of myself as being superstitious, but when I am at the mercy of the luck of the draw, I probably do cross my fingers, think positive thoughts, and say a quick prayer! That approach has worked for me with the CUCB, since I was lucky enough to get in through the lottery for the past two years. So, fingers crossed…
Francine works in banking, is the mother of 2 boys, and a runner in Delaware, who blogs at http://fromfrantoflash.com.
Is she superstitious?
I am superstitious. I cross my fingers before I hit enter on any lottery race. Good luck and cross those fingers!
Doug is a runner and parallel parking champ from Washington, DC who blogs at www.dougcassaro.com.
Is he superstitious?
I do not have any superstitions but I believe in good fortune.